RCANS 2017 (6th Regional Committee on Neogene Atlantic Stratigraphy), 10-13 July, 2017, Ponta Delgada, AZORES
INTERNATIONAL UNION OF GEOLOGICAL SCIENCESSUBCOMISSION ON NEOGENE STRATIGRAPHY
Dear Colleagues: It is with great pleasure that the Organizing Committee announces the RCANS 2017 (6th Regional Committee on Neogene Atlantic Stratigraphy), to be held 10-13 July 2017 at the University of the Azores (Ponta Delgada, São Miguel Island, Azores).
Please consult the Congress webpage at: http://rcans2017.org/
The Organising Committee welcomes all interested researchers to take part in this exciting event with state-of-the art communications that intends to bring together an international team of experts in a pleasant atmosphere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, at the volcanic oceanic Azorean island of São Miguel!
Important datesThe Congress will be organized in accordance with the following schedule:
- 1 January to 15 April 2017 - Submission of abstracts
- 1 January to 15 April 2017 - Registration and Field trip bookings (at standard rates)
- 30 April 2017 - Deadline for formal notification of acceptance of abstracts
- 16 April to Congress - Registration and Field trip bookings late paid rates
- 10-14 July 2017 - Congress sessions
- 14-15 July 2017 - post-Congress field trip to Santa Maria Island
The scientific programme comprises 9 sessions (6 within the framework of the 6th RCANS and 3 within the framework of the 3rdAtlantic Islands Neogene and Quaternary International Congress – 3rd AINIC). In brackets, find the name of the chairman/coordinator of each section:
1) Neogene high-energy events in the Atlantic (Pedro Costa, FCUL, Portugal);
2) Neogene sea-level changes and its record in the Atlantic coasts;
3) Tectonic evolution of the Atlantic Domain during the Neogene (João Duarte, FCUL/IDL, Portugal);
4) Geological evolution of oceanic islands (Ricardo Ramalho, Univ. Bristol, UK & FCUL/IDL, Portugal);
5) Atlantic rocky and sandy coastlines during the Neogene (Markes Johnson, Williams College, USA);
6) Palaeogeography and palaeoecology of the Atlantic margins during the Neogene (Ilde Armenteros, Universidad Salamanca, Spain).
7) GIS and remote sensing applications for the Atlantic Quaternary: case-studies (Artur Gil, cE3c/Univ. Açores);
8) Palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology of MIS 5e and MIS 11 deposits in the Atlantic coasts (Sérgio Ávila, CIBIO-Açores/Univ. Açores, Portugal);
9) Terrestrial ecosystems in the Atlantic during the…